Thursday, February 6, 2014

Boutique firearms for self defense

I talked to a cranky old bastard today who wanted to find a 4" aluminum framed Kimber. "I need a new carry gun. Im afraid the something bad will happen and the cops will take my Wilson Combat. I'll need a lawyer to get it back!"


I get why you want a high end 1911. First off, it's a good way to ensure you have one that is reliable. It puts you in a cool guy club. I did that once, too. Couldnt live without an HK P7M8. A boat anchor much like a 1911 but with a stranger cult of followers. 

I dont much care what an old fart totes. I just personally don't understand why you'd buy an expensive piece of safety equipment and then fret about using it to save your life. You wouldn't buy a high dollar life preserver and then leave it on the shore, opting for inflatable waterwings because you are worried about ripping the good one. 

Our reccomendation? Don't overspend on gear just for vanity's sake. If you have the money, and you really don't care what happens to your stuff, go nuts.
Most of us don't have that luxury.

Here is what I mean.
Those are a pair of $3000+ pistols. Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. That's also a Lay's BBQ chip and a beat up Carhart jacket. 

Do you know what you can buy for $3000? 


How about a $1000 Colt AR15...AND a $500 Remington 870...AND a $600 Glock21...and a $450 Smith&Wesson Shield...and a used SIG, either a P230 or a P2022? And a Carhart jacket (no chips...buy ammo). 

The truth is that you could buy a LOT of quality self-defense firearms for the same price as a single boutique pistol. 
You could afford to lose any one of them and still have a full battery of weapons. 


-G.Monkey



No comments:

Post a Comment